Saturday, October 20, 2012

Chirstmas Story

      I heard this special story of a Christmas around 1944.        I am the youngest child of  10 and my oldest brother, Jay,told the story at our yearly family reunion over the Fourth of July,2008.  My parents,Ralph and Violet, all with their four small children,lived  on a farm in South Dakota. It had no electricity,plumbing,running water or phone. Just before Christmas a huge snow storm hit. There was no food for the family left so Dad took off walking in the blizzard following a railroad track that would take him to Veblen that  was at least four miles away.   My brother and sisters said it seemed a very long time he was gone not knowing if he had made it or not.  The next day the excitment arose. Mom and the kids could see something dimly coming through the Dakota blizzard.    Even though it was snowing hard,they could see the shape of a Chistmas tree coming through the storm. It was Dad!  He was pulling a sled with food for the table and even Christmas presents for the family with  a tree tied on top. What excitement to have Dad safe and such a gift he brought to his family.                     
         I  was very exicited to win 2nd place.I entered the contest at our newspaper one hour before the dead line hand written.Now that
I have a book nearly published,I can see a real story unfolding from this!

No comments:

Post a Comment